November 18, 2017

The Sugar-Free (aka Not Sugar-Coated) Truth

For the first time in my life, I realize in an entirely new light how much I would do for my girls.

They are the air in my lungs.

They are the beat of my heart.

They are my pride and joy.

As of a couple of days ago, my custody situation changed with them.

Dramatically.

I worked so hard to protect them that I overprotected them.

I worked so hard to break a cycle that I missed out on life’s daily details; and as the adage goes, the devil’s in the details. 

But please be assured that I am much too strong to let this situation get the best of me.

Starting December 1st, the girls will be living with their dad for the majority of the time. And yes, I will be paying child support. 

To say I'm a bit of a mess right now doesn't even begin to cover it. My focus is out of focus. My mind is a pinball machine on an average day. There are moments when I'm not really sure which way is up. To say this has rocked me to my core is an understatement.

Because of all of this, my why has suddenly become crystal clear, and I'm going to take that as my silver lining in a tarnished reality. I want to continue giving them the things they want and need, the things they may not feel comfortable asking their dad to get for them. I want to take my girls on a mission trip each year because I believe it is important to give back to the world.

I want to provide for those in our community who are less fortunate than we are. Our struggle isn’t isolated or unique; and there are far greater needs than ours within a stone’s throw of where we live.

Right now, I’m working in a community that is overwhelmingly impoverished. I want to create a foundation of support for them. Will I work in that community forever? Probably not. Will my passion for helping those who can’t help themselves ever diminish? Nope.

My heart breaks when I see kids who have limited access to books. Reading is learning, and learning is a key piece of knowing what the world looked like in the past, what it looks like outside of your neck of the woods, and anticipating and preparing for what it might look like in the future.

I want a new roof over my head. I want a thriving garden of vegetables, and I want land with chickens and maybe a couple of goats (because cheese).

I want to be able to take the girls on college scouting trips, visit them once they’ve landed, support them in their studies, and to help make sure they never have to worry about student loans.

I want to be able to take them around the world. I want to be able to teach them what it truly means to give back to the world…experience the world…appreciate the world.

And most of all, I am hopeful for the means to provide support to other single moms who are just like me and could use an extra boost to fulfill all of the hopes and dreams they’ve set out to achieve to make their kids’ worlds a better place.

Mark my words - I won't stop until I have all of this under control, and then some! Let's do this.


No comments:

Post a Comment